Thursday, October 18, 2012

Looks Like We Made It

When I was growing up, my best friend loved Barry Manilow.  She still does, so sometimes songs by Barry (because Barry & I are on a first name basis) sneak into my subconscious.  


This is the photo that shows up on my cell when she calls me.

Lately, every time I look at our two-year-old son, Griffin, I hear Barry's voice, and he's always singing the chorus from "Looks Like We Made It."  You see-- Griffin has always been our most difficult child.  Always.  We love him, but he has been very, very difficult.  Immediately upon his birth, he started screaming in the loudest, most horrible (not in any way cute) cry.   The doctor and nurses had to scream over him.  No one could hear anything (besides his blood curdling screams).   I should add that the very first thing he did (even before crying) was piss in the face of my OB.   He got her good.  His birth is a day that will live in infamy.


Mike is smiling because he assumes Griffin's crying is temporary.  Wrong.

The very loud screaming continued when we took him home from the hospital. No amount of nursing or cuddling could soothe him. When I took him in to see our pediatrician for the first time, I seriously asked if there was something wrong with little Griffin. The doctor looked at me like I was crazy and then told me Griffin was just intense. The doctor was right. Griffin's intense personality is most definitely here to stay.


This t-shirt is a lie.

So why am I hearing Barry Manilow every time I look at my intense 2 1/2 year old son? Because he's getting more manageable.  Thank you, God.  He is still intense, and passionate, and brooding, but his crying is becoming less frequent. Every day seems to get a little bit easier, especially now that he is becoming more verbal.


Not crying.

Yesterday, he even *gasp* used a real cup instead of a sippy cup. After months & months of trying to get him to even try using a cup, he has happily made the transition.  Happy day!  Happy day!



Showing that cup who's boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment