Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hell Week

 
I know I posted briefly about our recent parenting hell week earlier, but forgive me, I just can't stop talking about it.  It was that awful.


source

 
Mike and I are college sweethearts, and we liked to party back in the day (and still do) and we went to state school...so let's just say the whole "hell week" concept is something we're familiar with.
 
 
Mike joined a fraternity in college.  An unsanctioned, nonGreek, banned from campus fraternity.  It was awesome.  They were the greatest group of guys you'd ever want to be friends with.  Super guys who didn't take themselves too seriously.
 
I, on the other hand, did not join a sorority.  It is still a regret.  Can you believe it?  I know.  I know.  What's the big deal?  I guess I'd explain by saying that if you know me in real life you'd know I'm pretty fearless and outgoing.  I'm not one to regret things I didn't do.  But alas, the sorority thing is on my list.  Live and learn.
 
 
Anywho...I remember being intrigued by this hell week concept in college.  I'd watch my friends who were pledging endure sleepless nights because they had to stand outside the sorority house in the middle of night.  They had to memorize stupid facts about the organization they were pledging-- their history.  Their "bigs" would get all up in their business (bizness?) if the sleep deprived pledge couldn't remember something.
 
And that my friends was what this past week was like.  Except Mike & I were kept sleep deprived by our littles.
 
 
Coughing, sneezing, fevers, crying-- all day, all night for over an ENTIRE WEEK. 
 
How much Ibuprofen did you give her? 
 
 When did we give her the last dose? 
 
How much does she freaking weigh?
 
Do you really want me to hold her on a scale to figure it out?
 
How long has she been sick?
 
Can you describe her cough? 
 
 
I don't know.  I don't know...because I'm sick too (and I'm trying to remember whether I took my cold medicine or not) and it's 4am, and I've been up with a nonstop coughing/crying kid since 1am.  And I'm trying to keep all the facts straight for all three sick kids.  And I didn't sleep last night either because I was up with another coughing/crying sick kid and it just went on like that day after night after day after night for what seemed like forever until one night all three kids finally slept. 
 
College hell week ain't got nothing on this whole parenting thing.

2 comments:

  1. God have I been there!!! Heres to hoping you all get sick on different schedules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i finally started noting down doses because i was in the "oh crap! when did i last give him that tylenol????" mode.

    ReplyDelete