Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sex-Selective Abortion Comes to U.S.

I logged on to Twitter today, and this article came up on my feed from the National Catholic Register.  Read the article, and see my commentary below.
Sex-Selective Abortion Comes to U.S


I WISH I could say this was the first time I read or heard about sex selection coming to the United States, but unfortunately, I have read several others articles just like this one.  I am especially disturbed by the reference to "family balancing" under the subtitle of Designer Families. 

In my previous post, "Our Lady of the Pots and Pans," I talked about my unfortunate experience of encountering more and more women who just want 1 boy and 1 girl.  Don't get me wrong.  There is nothing wrong with having a smaller family, and nothing wrong with wanting both a boy and a girl. 

There is, however, something very wrong with failing to recognize and appreciate life at all stages.  There is something very wrong with treating human life as a commodity.  There is an unhealthy, growing trend of having children just have them (like they are accessories) in the United States and in other countries. 

I'm not sure how to accurately describe what I'm seeing, but there is a growing consumerist attitude toward children.  My husband and I weren't fully aware of how prevalent this attitude had become until we announced we were expecting our third child.  Instead of "Congratulations," we were showered with comments like,

"But you already have a boy and a girl." 

"Really?"

"You're nuts!"

"How many are you going to have?!?!"

"Time to buy a bigger house!"

I'm afraid with the rise of birth control, vasectomies, availability of the morning after pill (located right next to the pregnancy tests in your local drug store), and abortion of children who are identified as possibly having a genetic defect (not to mention abortion for other reasons), that this is what it is coming next-- sex selection (more abortion).  I know readers will say I'm being extreme, but I disagree.  When we fail to value and recognize life at all stages, a culture of death becomes more and more socially acceptable.

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."
~ Blessed Mother Teresa ~



No comments:

Post a Comment